[Marxism] Another reason to root against Chris Hedges at tonight's debate

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Sep 12 07:16:04 MDT 2012

On 9/12/12 9:01 AM, Joseph Catron wrote:
> Here are the details again, for those wanting to see Hedges
> (hopefully) get his clock cleaned in New York, or to livestream it
> anywhere:
>
> http://www.crimethinc.com/blog/2012/08/16/crimethinc-to-debate-chris-hedges-in-nyc
> https://www.facebook.com/events/124776737669070
>
> Let's hope Hedges waxes eloquent (in his opinion) on the Zapatistas
> again. That's really be something to see live ...

I would certainly defend Lenin against Hedge's characterization but the
juvenile crimethink.com group is equally hostile to what Lenin stood
for. Their main message is the need for black bloc adventurism. What an
embarrassment. And what an embarrassment that Joseph Catron identifies
with such drooling idiocy:

http://www.crimethinc.com/blog/2012/02/20/black-bloc-confidential/

That putrid smell, the eyes glossed over in tears, the stomach churns
and nausea overwhelms you. Vinegar-soaked rags help to soak up the
poisonous clouds, but you can hear screaming everywhere as the blue tide
comes rushing in, and your nerves twist and vibrate as the CS gas and
police mutate into a single hostile terrain.

Suddenly, I am with six or ten people. I don’t know who. We’ve found a
large road sign and we’re lifting it slowly. Plastic bottles soar
impotently overhead. A small rock or two hits an officer. We press with
what was once our labor power, straining to hurl the worthless product
of our grandparents’ toil back at our overseers. The object tilts over
the fence and falls to other side: clong. We cheer and revel in our
functionless gesture. “Fuck the police” resounds throughout the night,
however foolishly. A few bank windows collapse in glittery confetti.
Spray paint decorates a wall. We journey to the end of the night; at its
perimeter, we share drinks and laughs over our absurd gestures. Finally,
back at the union hall, we crash in our sleeping bags, exhausted and
dehydrated, to dream of the abolition of capitalism.