[Marxism] Muhammad film: Israeli director goes into hiding after protests,

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 14:55:21 MDT 2012

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 11:43 PM, dan <d.koechlin at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

The fact that Muhammad began as a petty warlord, directing his men to
> pillage and rape has always been acknowledged in Islamic historiography.

I posted the following here in response to similar statements by Dan nine
days ago, but never got a reply, so here it is again:

I'm at risk of getting myself into trouble here, because:

1. There are a couple of different minefields through which to wade;
2. The ancient world as a whole lacked anything corresponding to our
understanding of rape, so any attempt to read its texts through that frame
will quickly run into problems; and
3. I'm appallingly ignorant of the hadiths.

For those reasons, I'll simply say that I've seen arguments, seemingly
convincing, that the situation was not as cut-and-dried as you claim.
Here's one:

http://www.call-to-monotheism.com/does_islam_permit_muslim_men_to_rape_their_slave_girls_

That said, I know of no seventh-century sources that conceptualized sex as
the product of individual consent, in the way we (sans Sparts and WSWS)
would.

--
lytlað."