[Marxism] The conversion of Joel Kovel

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 14:52:32 MDT 2012

On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 11:09 PM, Michael Smith <mjs at smithbowen.net> wrote:

People think of the Episcopal Church as the whitest
> of the white, but that's not so. Worldwide, the Anglican
> churches are probably majority-black these days. The US
> Episcopal church is about 7% black nationwide, and the
> diocese of NY much more than that.

St. Mary's is, as one might guess from its Harlem location, majority-black,
and was, at least under Kooperkamp, a left organizing hub; I haven't
visited since he departed for literal greener pastures in Vermont.

Here, by way of comedy, we see him reading from Bob Avakian in church (but
not, one hopes, during a Eucharist):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNnkO-9aVz0

On more substantial thinkers, he was the first person to ever give me
a satisfactory explanation of Marx's "opium of the people" statement, at
Left Forum one year.

And Michael's right about global demographics. The Anglican Communion is
now the Church of Nigeria more than it is the Church of England, and Sudan
and Uganda each have more Anglicans than Australia, Canada, New Zealand, or
the United States.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/3226753.stm

--
lytlað."