[Marxism] Christopher Stevens: The Quiet American

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 08:30:42 MDT 2012

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 4:48 PM, Andrew Pollack <acpollack2 at gmail.com>wrote:

And the most revolutionary confrontation ever with the imperialist
> diplomatic apparatus didn't involve any takeover of physical space: I refer
> to the Bolsheviks' publication of secret treaties.

Note that Wednesday's events might have a similar outcome:

"The US administration is now facing a crisis in Libya. Sensitive documents
have gone missing from the consulate in Benghazi and the supposedly secret
location of the 'safe house' in the city, where the staff had retreated,
came under sustained mortar attack. Other such refuges across the country
are no longer deemed 'safe'.

"Some of the missing papers from the consulate are said to list names of
Libyans who are working with Americans, putting them potentially at risk
from extremist groups, while some of the other documents are said to relate
to oil contracts."

http://ind.pn/OmpzmF

But I must insist that the current mainstream media bashing of embassy
> protests, and the abashed response to it of Muslims feeling on the
> defensive, can only be put down to Islamophobia.

As a non-Muslim American, I just say: "Pot. Kettle. Black."

http://www.haaretz.com/news/u-s-troops-raid-palestinian-mission-in-baghdad-1.8637
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/1999/oct/17/balkans

But as far as the abashed reactions of (some) Muslims go, I think you're
missing an important factor that I'm not necessarily qualified to talk
about. Non-Muslim visitors in Islamic countries enjoy a certain protected
status under both Sharia law and Arab culture. And when something bad
happens to a guest - not an occupier, but someone who, like Stevens, was
welcomed by a government of Muslims - it's a Big Deal, at least in my
corner of the world. It's kind of like a visitor being killed in your home,
but more so, since hospitality's a real discipline here, which people take
VERY seriously. And I believe (although if it matters, you should
double-check with the actual experts we know) that this goes extra for
diplomats.

--
lytlað."