[Marxism] The Black Bloc Doth Protest Too Much

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Sep 19 07:17:02 MDT 2012

http://www.indypendent.org/2012/09/15/black-bloc-doth-protest-too-much

Indy Blog
The Black Bloc Doth Protest Too Much
By Ari Paul
September 15, 2012

It finally happened. After months of anarchists howling over journalist
Chris Hedges’s controversial article “The Cancer Within Occupy,” the
author debated the subject of non-violence and the diversity of tactics
in the Occupy Wall Street movement with Brian Traven, representing
CrimethInc, an anarchist group sympathetic to the Black Bloc tactics
Hedges denounced in the article.

Both sides made good points in the exchange, which took place Sept. 12
in before a packed audience in Manhattan. Hedges reflected upon his
years covering wars and revolutions for the New York Times, saying that
violence can hinder progress, while Traven brought up relevant questions
about how we as a society define what is violent or criminal. But the
real star of the show was the Black Bloc supporters themselves, whose
main goal, it seemed, was to discredit any and all scrutiny of
themselves and smear their detractors with ad hominem attacks. Traven at
one point suggested that the police were taking cues from Hedges, who
laughed at the idea of security forces being inspired by his railings
against corporate capitalism.

For people who raise their middle finger to the man and brag about their
fights with the cops, these rabble-rousers are perhaps the most
thin-skinned activists I have ever encountered, as they have still yet
to recover from the fact that a writer turned a critical lens on them in
one article seven months ago. They simply cannot tolerate any dissent
against their tactics, and they fight back the only way they know how:
by being whiny little brats.

Both presenters had their faults. Traven’s main tactic for ducking
criticism was to employ a post-modernist obfuscation of any inconvenient
questions. When asked if the Black Bloc had ever succeeded, he
questioned what success meant. When asked if the Black Bloc was marred
by hyper-masculinity, he dismissed Hedges’s definition of gender. But
for the most part, Hedges responded to these things respectfully.

Hedges has a tendency to put people off with his ministerial style. Some
people find him condescending with his repeated reminders that he
covered the wars in El Salvador and the former Yugoslavia. Regardless,
during the debate he was constantly met with childish hisses, laughter
and cries of “liar,” not to mention one suggestion that his career as a
war correspondent was a cover for his employment with the Central
Intelligence Agency.

This whole act was not just disrespectful to the participants and the
event’s organizers, but the hordes of people who wanted to listen, who
maybe could have been swayed into seeing things Traven’s way (he didn’t
seemed bothered by the disturbances). And so I decided to photograph the
troublemakers, despite being told that I could only take photos of the
panelists and not the audience. As far as I was concerned, this was a
public space (City University of New York property, to be exact), and
once these people decided to be disruptive they have made themselves a
news event.

And so I was escorted outside by an event organizer and a uniformed
security guard and urged to delete my photos, as they had received text
messages that I had pointed my camera in the direction of the shouters.
Despite the delicious irony of anarchists deferring to rules and
security, I am always perturbed by anyone who feels they should be
shielded from the press if they are, in fact, doing something
newsworthy. Out of respect for the organizers I complied and erased the
frames, which didn’t matter because they were too blurry to be used anyway.

But this kind of entitlement to be at once disruptive and immune from
accountability is emblematic of the kind of
dish-it-out-but-can’t-take-it attitude they have displayed in reaction
to Hedges’s original article. If they’re still having a tantrum about
Hedges’s article, how can we expect them to hold up against the 1
percent shock troops?

This is why I think it is ultimately wrong to classify this particular
group as anarchists—that would sully the names of various movements past
and present that have used and currently use non-hierarchical structures
in anti-capitalist organizing. This particular clique is explicitly and
actively against the left, and there’s a reason the CrimethInc book Days
of War, Nights of Love reads like the ideological bastard child of Karl
Marx and Ayn Rand. It rails against corporate control, but replaces
class struggle with libertarian individualism. Capitalism and the state
are oppressing you, and their flavor of anarchism is your struggle to
liberate yourself from the mediocrity of the bourgeois state. You have
to do whatever you can to do to save yourself.

This is why Hedges and Traven couldn’t come to a consensus. Hedges
wanted to know what kind of society Black Bloc anarchists wanted to
create, but never got a real answer, and that’s because they’re
currently living in it. They’ll roam the city streets, living in squats,
riding on freight trains, mocking all the losers in suits and blue
uniforms for squandering their days for paychecks and health insurance.
They live off the waste of capitalist society (if they don’t already
have trust funds), cocooned in their punk rock Neverland. Their utopia
isn’t a liberation of oppressed society but their personal secession
from it.

This is the kind of anti-social narcissism that Hedges wrote about in
the article that kicked off this whole mess. The rage against the
police, press and fellow anti-capitalists has everything to do with
their inflated sense of self and precious little to do with solidarity.

I’ve encountered it recently. In Chicago, during the NATO protests in
May, Black Bloc participants gathered with other activists in Grant
Park, wearing masks, waving banners and angrily confronting anyone who
took their photo. My response was that if you don’t want your photo
taken don’t go to a public protest where you know there are going to be
hundreds of journalists. Further, picking a fight with the police only
endangers journalists and other activists. While covering the Eurozone
crisis in Athens this summer, I was confronted by so-called anarchists
for photographing them, and in fact, they routinely assault journalists
in demonstrations while later celebrating television news footage of
their street fighting. They want to have their dumpster-dived vegan cake
and eat it, too.

I don’t fully side with Hedges on his take on the Black Bloc. During the
debate, for example, I bristled when Hedges suggested that there was
some common ground for both OWS and the police because they are working
class (see my articles in the Indypendent and The Guardian on the
subject). But it is certainly a win for Hedges when his critics live up
to his description of them.

“The Black Bloc movement bears the rigidity and dogmatism of all
absolutism sects,” Hedges wrote. “Its adherents alone possess the truth.
They alone understand. They alone arrogate the right, because they are
enlightened and we are not, to dismiss and ignore competing points of
view as infantile and irrelevant. They hear only their own voices. They
heed only their own thoughts. They believe only their own clichés. And
this makes them not only deeply intolerant but stupid.”

Read interesting comments at link above