[Marxism] Which prophets really existed ?

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Sat Sep 22 14:34:02 MDT 2012

On Sat, 22 Sep 2012 23:26:07 +0300
Joseph Catron <jncatron at gmail.com> wrote:

> You forget the driest of jokes, and what Nietzsche called "the only saying
> that has any value" in the New Testament: "Quid est veritas?"

What is truth, asked jesting Pilate, and would not stay for an answer.
Not that I usually think much of Bacon (as distinct from lower-case
bacon, which I love).

Pilate gets a lot of good lines, actually. There's one point when
he asks, in effect, Do I look Jewish to you?! But the best, which I
really think ought to be the motto of all writers, occurs when the
temple authorities come to him and suggest a revision in the sign
affixed to Jesus' cross. Pilate responds -- it's even pithier in Greek:
 Ὃ γέγραφα γέγραφα! -- What I have written, I have written.

--
--

Michael J. Smith
mjs at smithbowen.net