[Marxism] Syria rally in NY

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Sep 22 15:54:06 MDT 2012

Just returned from what we used to call a "small but spirited" rally in
the SWP. My guess is that the Syrian-American community is not as
cohesive as the Palestinian but that may change down the road.

In any case, I will be pulling together a video tomorrow. I think that
filming these events and putting them on the Internet is very important
since the speakers address the attendees in English and hence give you
an idea of the current thinking of Syrians. Nearly all of the speakers
took great pains to disassociate themselves from the attack on the
American consul in Benghazi. One said that a real insult against Allah
can be heard today in Syria when the Syrian army forces FSA captives to
say "There is no God but Bashar" before they are executed.

Also of interest was the Iranian speaker who I chatted with briefly
after he was finished. When I told him that I supported the Green
Movement, more or less as shorthand to explain that I was for the mass
movement, he replied that he has nothing to do with the Green Movement
starting with the fact that his father was jailed and then tortured for
10 years when Mousavi, the leader of the Green Movement, was Iran's
president.