[Marxism] Syria rally in NY

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Sat Sep 22 16:16:17 MDT 2012

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 12:54 AM, Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> wrote:

Also of interest was the Iranian speaker who I chatted with briefly after
> he was finished. When I told him that I supported the Green Movement, more
> or less as shorthand to explain that I was for the mass movement, he
> replied that he has nothing to do with the Green Movement starting with the
> fact that his father was jailed and then tortured for 10 years when
> Mousavi, the leader of the Green Movement, was Iran's president.

Prime minister (1981-1989), not president.

And, well, yeah. Mousavi's government also oversaw the 1988 mass executions
of at least 10,000 political prisoners, the single bloodiest episode of
post-revolutionary Iranian history.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iran/7811996/Mir-Hossein-Mousavi-involved-in-massacre-says-report.html

I'll be the first to admit I've obviously missed something important, as
I've never understood how a single Iranian could think that supporting any
movement he leads is a good idea.

--
lytlað."