[Marxism] another victory for the forces of enlightenment

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 11:15:32 MDT 2012

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 5:30 AM, Joseph Catron <jncatron at gmail.com> wrote:

And any Islamic society, consisting, as it inevitably will, of human
> beings, will also have a number of simultaneous influences, sometimes
> complementary, sometimes contradictory, always hard for outsiders to figure.

In another example that just appeared today, we see Gaza's Islamic religion
(in the abstract, ideal sense) clashing with aspects of its Arab culture:

http://gulfnews.com/news/region/palestinian-territories/women-s-right-to-inheritance-violated-in-gaza-1.1080775

After 1,377 years, this amateur anthropologist would have expected the two
to be more synchronized. I guess that's why I'm not a pro, right?

It's interesting to note that something "considered to be one of the
harshest forms of violation of their rights women face in Gaza" is a right
under sharia law, without equivalent in the West.

--
lytlað."