[Marxism] Can black people be racist?

dan d.koechlin at wanadoo.fr
Thu Sep 27 13:21:35 MDT 2012

John Passant wrote :

 >>"The idea that black and Asian people can be racist towards white
people is wrong. It confuses a reaction to a racist society with racism
itself."<<

I spent seven years in the Carribean region and I'm sorry to say that I
met Asian people who hated Black people, Black people who hated Asian
people, Dominicans who hated Haitians, Brazilians who hated Dominicans,
Guyanese who hated Brazilians, etc.

Certain members of each group hated the next because they feared the
demographic pressure of their neighbours or because the economic and
social dynamics meant certain ethnic groups were gradually taking over
important commercial sectors.

Impoverished Haitians were emigrating en masse and taking construction
work away from the denizens of other nations. Chinese were buying up all
the retail outlets and making life harder for small Black shop-owners
through ultra-competitive pricing backed by unpaid labour. Dominican
women were seen as prostitutes and gold-diggers... And in the
background, the legacy of Colonialism meant that each group had in mind
a social model founded on the ascendency of one group over all the
others, as was the case with the Whites under European rule. So despite
claiming to be melting-pots of every conceivable ethnicity, each nation
was alarmed at the prospect that one particular ethnic group was
becoming (or had become) "the new masters".

What I learnt from my stay in the region is that racism is a product of
the particular way in which an aspiring middle-class, in each country,
is trying to differentiate itself from the poorest labourers on the one
hand and on the other trying to send its offspring to "good schools" so
as to maintain (or improve) its representation in the ranks of the
administrative and commercial elite.

This does not address the question of whether Black people can be racist
against White people. My answer would be : it depends on the social
class to which the Black people in question belong. The overwhelming
majority of Black people suffer from discrimination by being excluded
from the "Core" of Capitalism and forced to perform menial tasks.
Moreover, there is a strong racist bias that continuously prevents Black
people from benefiting from the same opportunities as their neighbours.