[Marxism] Which prophets really existed ?

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Thu Sep 27 14:56:52 MDT 2012

On Thu, 27 Sep 2012 16:05:30 -0400
Shane Mage <shmage at pipeline.com> wrote:

> He may well have been a Jew, that at least is what he claimed. But he
> wasn't born in Rome, so his citizenship must have been granted.  In
> exchange for what services to Rome?

It was fairly common practice to grant Roman citizenship to prominent
or well-off provincials. No doubt there was often bribery involved. It
was desirable for reasons of status and because it conferred certain
legal protections, which Saul/Paul later invoked. I don't know that
there's any evidence the citizenship was granted to S/Paul himself,
rather than say his father or even grandfather.

--
--

Michael J. Smith
mjs at smithbowen.net