[Marxism] Which prophets really existed ?

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 19:15:50 MDT 2012

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 1:36 AM, dan <d.koechlin at wanadoo.fr> wrote:

If you take "Jesus the anti-Roman agitator" to be vaguely historical and
> all the rest to be accretions, then you are cherry-picking.

Are you still referring to me by the end? I've never done anything of the
sort, and don't find that narrative particularly plausible, or even all
that interesting. The Jesus of the Gospels is clearly a religious figure
before a political one, if there's any real political content to be found.

I don't see much point in getting into a back-and-forth exchange on this.
Instead, I'll simply note that there's a clear scholarly consensus on the
question (see: pretty much any secular, mainstream history published in
recent decades), and your perspective runs against it. You're entitled, of
course, but most of your case seem to hinge on the implausibility of
miracles (which I believe every historian's thought of before) and a
selling short of the "clumsy synthesis of oral traditions that are often
contradictory." Nothing in the canonical Gospels is that contradictory, and
oral traditions, clumsily-synthesized and otherwise, are the stuff from
which much of the history is made.

--
lytlað."