[Marxism] Sam Harris, uncovered

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 10:30:32 MDT 2012

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 2:44 PM, Paul Flewers <
trusscott.foundation at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

That Dawkins could dip into the language of anti-Semitism I put down
> to ignorance on his part rather than any anti-Jewish sentiments on his
> part. Nonetheless, it is worrying that our learned Oxford professor is
> woefully ignorant of the realities of a key aspect of US politics and
> state policy.

We're talking about the same Dawkins who urged his readers, in *The God
Delusion*, "Imagine, with John Lennon, a world with no religion. Imagine no
suicide bombers ... no Indian partition, no Israeli/Palestinian wars ... no
Northern Ireland 'troubles,'" right? And  confidently asserted, "In
Northern Ireland, Catholics and Protestants are euphemized to
'Nationalists' and 'Loyalists' respectively" and that "without religion,
and religiously segregated education, the divide simply would not be there.
The warring tribes would have intermarried and long since dissolved into
each other." (Just like black and white Baptists in the South, huzzah!)

Personally, I'd be more worried to hear of a field of knowledge, perhaps
beyond the modern evolutionary synthesis, in which that guy was NOT
woefully ignorant. Oh, yes, and celebrating Christmas: he's right about
that, too.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/16/for-richard-dawkins-traditional-christmas-carols-trump-atheism

But it doesn't take too much careful reading to calculate that his
"cultural Anglicanism" includes "moral Anglicanism," or as Hart would say,
"those tenuous vestiges of Christian morality [he has] absurdly denominated
'humanism'" and "polite moral certitudes to which he no longer ha[s] any
right." Surely it must have occurred to him, at some time, from where those
acquired and subjective notions of right and wrong by which he judges the
sins of men in mitres actually came? At this point in his writing career, I
find it hard to believe that he can possibly be so dull and myopic that it
has actually not.

--
lytlað."