[Marxism] Marx Document

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Sep 30 10:53:07 MDT 2012

> Hello, I've been searching for the document by Marx which explicitly and
> clearly details why workers should not vote for liberal bourgeois
> parties, and vote for onlyworkers parties, even if they have no chance
> of winning, and even if a few extra reactionaries get in, in order to
> forge their political independence. If you could give me the link to
> that, I'd appreciate it greatly. Thanks.

http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1847/communist-league/1850-ad1.htm

Here the proletariat must take care: 1) that by sharp practices local
authorities and government commissioners do not, under any pretext
whatsoever, exclude any section of workers; 2) that workers’ candidates
are nominated everywhere in opposition to bourgeois-democratic
candidates. As far as possible they should be League members and their
election should be pursued by all possible means. Even where there is no
prospect of achieving their election the workers must put up their own
candidates to preserve their independence, to gauge their own strength
and to bring their revolutionary position and party standpoint to public
attention. They must not be led astray by the empty phrases of the
democrats, who will maintain that the workers’ candidates will split the
democratic party and offer the forces of reaction the chance of victory.
All such talk means, in the final analysis, that the proletariat is to
be swindled. The progress which the proletarian party will make by
operating independently in this way is infinitely more important than
the disadvantages resulting from the presence of a few reactionaries in
the representative body. If the forces of democracy take decisive,
terroristic action against the reaction from the very beginning, the
reactionary influence in the election will already have been destroyed.