[Marxism] Marxism] Monthly Review recommends Maxmillian Forte to its readers

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Apr 1 12:58:30 MDT 2013

On 4/1/13 2:26 PM, Ethan Young wrote:

> Never met Max Ajl, but his bona fides look good: MERIP, Jadaliyya, Jacobin, Mondoweiss, etc. Since we haven't read the piece, it's hard to say it's a 'recommendation' of Forte. ey

Yeah, I met Max once and am very familiar with his writings.

This piece is typical, mourning Libya as "a shattered Arab state":

http://www.maxajl.com/libyan-liberation/

And here he is, polemicizing against a left that argues that "the Free
Syrian Army is an adjunct of the Zap­atis­tas".( What left is that, I
wonder? His left shoe?)

http://www.maxajl.com/al-qaeda-rising-in-syria/

People like Max who have spent time in Gaza expressing solidarity with
Hamas can't seem to get their heads wrapped around the notion that
Hamas, unlike him, is far more opposed to al-Assad than they are to the
rebels:

NY Times February 24, 2012
In Break, Hamas Supports Syrian Opposition
By FARES AKRAM

GAZA —A leader of Hamas spoke out against President Bashar al-Assad of
Syria on Friday, throwing its support behind the opposition and
stripping Damascus of what little credibility it may have retained with
the Arab street. It was Hamas’s first public break with its longtime patron.

Hamas’s prime minister in Gaza, Ismail Haniya, said during Friday
Prayer, “I salute all people of the Arab Spring, or Islamic winter, and
I salute the Syrian people who seek freedom, democracy and reform.”

The worshipers shouted back, “God is great” and “Syria! Syria!”

Mr. Haniya made his remarks in support of the uprising that is seeking
to oust Mr. Assad, a reversal after years in which Mr. Assad has given
safe haven to leaders of Hamas while helping supply it with weapons and
cash in its battle against Israel.

But the remarks were almost as significant for where they were made: in
Cairo, at Al Azhar Mosque.

During the years in which Syria supported Hamas, Egypt’s leaders were
hostile to the group, treating it as a despised relative of the Muslim
Brotherhood, which was also tagged an outlaw and banned. So Mr. Haniya’s
remarks in Egypt served as another measure of how much has changed since
popular uprisings began to sweep the region, removing President Hosni
Mubarak of Egypt and now trying to topple Mr. Assad.

Mr. Haniya’s comments confirmed a distance between Hamas and Damascus
that emerged several weeks ago when the group’s leadership abandoned its
longtime base in Syria as the environment there became more violent. The
remarks, which were seen as the group’s official position because of Mr.
Haniya’s role, reflected a progressively deeper split with Mr. Assad.
Hamas also recently allowed residents of Gaza to stage protests against
Mr. Assad and in support of the uprising.

In Syria, the protest movement began peacefully, but Mr. Assad’s forces
struck back with lethal force.

In Cairo, as Mr. Haniya spoke, the crowds also shouted against Iran and
the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah, both of which continue to support
Mr. Assad and have long been hailed on the Arab street for remaining
defiant toward Israel. That was yet another significant shift caused by
the Arab uprisings.

“No Iran, no Hezbollah. Syria is Islamic,” protesters chanted, according
to Agence France-Presse.

Iran has been a key supporter of Hamas. On Thursday, Al Sharq Al Awsat,
a London-based Arabic newspaper, published remarks by Ezzat al-Rashq, a
member of the Hamas political bureau, who said that Iran had been the
main financial supporter for the Hamas government in Gaza. Without the
Iranian money, he said, Hamas would have never been able to pay its
45,000 government employees.

Mr. Haniya is in Cairo with other Hamas leaders from Gaza and abroad to
meet with Mahmoud Abbas, president of the Palestinian Authority, to try
to form a government of national reconciliation between the two rival
Palestinian movements. The plan for such a government was agreed to last
May, along with a plan for Palestinian elections. But numerous disputes
remain an obstacle.