[Marxism] Glasgow Bedroom Tax Protest - Large Turnout - Marred by SWP Related Controversy

Thomas Coles tomcoles at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 07:50:23 MDT 2013

There's a pretty good article on the events here:
“THIS IS A TAX DEMO, WHY DON’T YOU GO BACK TO YOUR RAPE DEMO”
http://athousandflowers.net/2013/03/31/this-is-a-tax-demo-why-dont-you-go-back-to-your-rape-demo/
"We really need to think of yesterday’s excellent Anti Bedroom Tax demo and
what happened within the five or so minutes of Dave Sherry’s speech as
separate issues, because they are – although unfortunately the involvement
of the SWP in any issue now means that the SWP problem will have to be
dealt with at every turn. It’s sad for the genuine, non-front, people’s
movements that the SWP latch on to that they will have to deal with the
structural problems of misogyny in a cult they have nothing to do with, but
if we don’t deal with it they will bring us all down, and we will not be
safe in our own spaces. And in Glasgow, we have the additional problem that
the SWP have political allies who are prepared to not only back them up but
get aggressive with us if we are critical of SWP members like Dave Sherry."

It'd be interesting to hear how comrades on this list would deal with a
situation like this - where neither the SWP nor those who consider many of
their members hopelessly compromised by their internal political actions
are going to back down.

Tom