[Marxism] Smyrna: The Destruction of a Cosmopolitan City

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Apr 5 08:09:36 MDT 2013

In my one and only visit to Izmir to meet my wife’s relatives, we walked
along the quay to see some of the picturesque city’s landmarks including
the statue of Mustafa Kemal that looked toward the sea. My wife’s cousin
Ceyda, the daughter of a General assigned to NATO and a rock-ribbed
Kemalist, paused in front of the statue to inform me that this was where
their war of independence was won. The quay, from which the city’s Greek
population was literally driven into the sea, is as important a symbol
of that country’s birth in the early 1920s as the Liberty Bell in
Philadelphia is to an American.

Although I have been very critical of Toni Negri and Michael Hardt’s
“Empire”, I am tempted to agree with their argument that the
nation-state is a toxic formation when I think about Turkey’s origins
over the mountains of Armenian, Greek and Kurdish skulls. Like the
Native American corpses that are vomited up at the end of “Poltergeist”,
that’s the chilling spectacle you get in the powerful documentary
“Smyrna: The Destruction of a Cosmopolitan City” that opens on April
fifth at the Quad in New York. With previously unseen photographs and
film footage, the city is revealed in both its cosmopolitan glory and
the immolation in 1922 that changed the character of the city forever.
Henceforth it would be referred to by its Turkish name—Izmir—just as
Constantinople would be known as Istanbul.

full:
http://www.counterpunch.org/2013/04/05/when-madness-swept-the-mediterranean/