[Marxism] Counterpunch article

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Apr 5 13:38:33 MDT 2013

On 4/5/13 3:14 PM, Robert Weiss wrote:
> I was referring to the Farhud
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farhud> (1941), one of the 20th century's
> named atrocities.  (Since you say you're a Marxist and have included
> some of them in the conversation, check out Holodomor
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor> for your folks' handiwork.
>   Sorry, that was gratuitous.  But not all that sorry.)  At one point I
> was going to make a list of the names, but after a while couldn't
> stomach it.
>
> That the Ottoman empire was sometimes capable of tolerance doesn't prove
> that it was practiced universally, and a bullet to the head makes up for
> a lot of last year's smiles.  Ask the Armenians.  No, that won't work;
> most of them can't answer.  And the Greeks seem to have experienced some
> unpleasantness in the early 19th century, which attracted Europe's
> attention at the time.
>
> You still haven't replied to my comment about "unilateral direction",
> which was the point of my first message.

You're right. My apologies. My head was somewhere else entirely.

Here's what I meant by unilateral.

The Zionists got Palestinian land through violence sanctified by
imperialism, while the Palestinians got nothing but refugee camps. When
I was young and Zionism was still viewed mistakenly as progressive, they
used to say that it was the Arabs' fault that they did not absorb the
Palestinians. Considering how Jews were victims of fascist pogroms, it
is really one of history's cruel ironies that they could in turn carry
out their own 'lebensraum' policies. Just look at this map of the Middle
East to see how Israeli expansionism ran amok.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljc09cbaPk1qf4rwdo1_500.jpg