[Marxism] Counterpunch article

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Apr 5 15:04:34 MDT 2013

On 4/5/13 4:45 PM, Robert Weiss wrote:
> Your map is misleading.  The vast majority of what it shows as
> "Palestinian Land" in 1947 was actually state ("emirate") land,
> expropriated by the Sultan centuries ago.  In 1947 it was the property
> of the British Mandatory government.  After the formation of Israel the
> part that was under Israeli control passed to the Israeli state.  Jordan
> got its piece, which after 1967 passed to the Israeli occupation
> authority.  This was not amok expansion but legal transfer.  Further,
> your reference to "lebensraum" doesn't add anything constructive here.
>   (By the way, have you noticed the controversy over the #My Jihad ads?
>   Try translating that into German.)  The fraction of privately owned
> land in the region, in the sense that we have in the United States, is I
> believe about 10-15%.  Since there was never a Palestinian state, the
> emirate land was never owned by Palestinians.  Could have been if they
> had chosen peace in 1947, but that didn't happen.

Robert, this is going to be my last response to you since you are
obviously some kind of hardened, hasbara-dispensing Zionist wingnut. I
have heard all this crap myself and even believed it once upon a time.
My mother was president of her local Hadassah and I went to Hebrew
school in 1957 where we learned the words to Hatikvah.

All I will say on the matter of substance is that because "there was
never a Palestinian state", that did not give the Zionists to carve one
out through violence. You might as well have said the same thing about
Turkey in 1921. No such country existed. It was simply a part of the
Ottoman Empire. What if the biblical Jews had lived in Anatolia instead
of the kingdom of Judea? Would that have given them the right to throw
the Turkish speaking peoples off that land and to plant the Star of
David above it? That, of course, is what the Turks did to the Armenians.
They carried out a genocide to make the country pure Turkish. Guess who
supported the Turks in that endeavor? Israel, of course. This has
changed lately since the AKP took power. With an Islamist government
that verbally favors the Palestinians, no wonder that the Zionists are
changing their mind about the Armenian genocide.

> Whether Zionism is regarded as progressive or monstrous has nothing to
> do with why many of the Palestinians are refugees.  Many peoples were
> displaced during the last century.  You mentioned the Indians and
> Pakistanis.  Others that come to mind are the South Asians of Uganda,
> Sudeten Germans, Nationalist Chinese, Hmong, and Vietnamese boat people.
>   Many more examples are available, including of course European and
> Middle Eastern Jews.  All of these now have homes of one kind or another
> in the lands of their destinations.  The big exception is the
> Palestinians.  Why are they different?

A Rush Limbaugh talking point. I am not going to answer the rest of your
garbage which was picked from the bottom of CAMERA's barrel. My poor
mom, who remained a Zionist until she died, used to send me emails just
like yours. She at least had the excuse of "declining" as she reached
her mid-80s. It is pathetic to see a Jew like yourself carrying on like
this, especially when the recipient of your email clearly knows how to
respond to such bullshit from having the sad experience of believing it
once upon a time.

Don't bother responding to this since I am putting you into a kill-file.