[Marxism] Ebert Was a Critic Whose Sting Was Salved by Caring

jay rothermel jayrothermel at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 19:49:31 MDT 2013

....Roger Ebert, the film critic who led the round-table discussion, said
he was also struck by the Co-Op miners’ conditions and tenacity. “Kopple
also shared the stage with Utah miners,” Ebert wrote on his website
following the film festival. “Although the national average pay for coal
miners is $15 to $16 an hour, these workers—who are striking for a union
contract—are paid $7 an hour for the backbreaking and dangerous work.

“Using a translator, the Spanish-speaking miners told their story. One
detail struck me with curious strength. A miner complained that his foreman
demanded he give him a bottle of Gatorade every day as sort of a job tax.
It is the small scale of the bribe that hit me.” ....

http://www.themilitant.com/2005/6906/690604.html