[Marxism] Awesome Proletarian Positions

turbulo at aol.com turbulo at aol.com
Sat Apr 6 11:30:30 MDT 2013

Louis Proyect wrote:

It is a waste of time for me to argue with someone who spent a decade or
so in the Spartacist League and the International Bolshevik Tendency. I
congratulate you that you are no longer a member but I am afraid that
your take on the Cannon-Shachtman fight is straight out of the
Spartacist League canon.

                  ********************************

To recapitulate: Louis objects to the sectarian practice of hurling
the epithet, "petty bourgeois" as a way of stigmatizing people and cutting off
debate. He cites the Burnham-Shachtman fight of 1940 in the SWP as
a prime example of this technique, and, to support his claim, supplies a capsule
history of the dispute. I challenge Louis's claim that the 1940 fight was a precedent
on fairly narrow factual grounds, citing certain inaccuracies in his retelling.
Louis responds that he simply can't argue with me because I am a former
Spartacist and former member of the International Bolshevik Tendency.
I leave it to readers of this newsgroup to determine who is calling names
in order to stigmatize people and cut off debate.