[Marxism] Shachtmanites during WWII

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Apr 6 14:20:18 MDT 2013

Comrades can check out for themselves what kind of issues their
newspaper was covering after the split with Cannon:

http://www.marxists.org/history/etol/newspape/laboraction-ny/index.htm

Mostly there's nothing but the table of contents for each issue but
there are some articles as well, like David Coolidge's Aug. 12, 1940
article titled "Big Business Wrests Huge Profits Out of Preparations for
War". It states:

They will do all of these things with these war profits just as they did
during and after the last war. They will seek to cover up and hide their
waste and luxury by claiming that their gaudy social affairs are for the
benefit of European refugees. What refugees? For the sons and daughters
of the workers of England? No. The children who are coming today arrive
with their nurses arid governesses and tutors. J.P. Morgan comes down
the gang-plank with little eleven year old Lord Primrose and takes him
to his estate to be safe from Hitler’s bombs.

All of these things happen while 70,000 black and white forest workers
labor for as little as ten cents an hour. While whole families work in
Minnesota lumber camps for $10 a week. While thousands of Negro workers
are chained to the slave farms of the South and New Jersey. While
unemployment remains at 10,000,000. In a country where the mother in an
unemployed family kills herself and six children because the family has
nothing to eat. Their only comfort was a headstone for the graves paid
for with money collected by the neighbors.

This is by no means the whole story. But this is enough. Every worker
knows full well what the next move is. The main task is to get those
profits into the pay envelopes of the workers. This doesn’t require long
arguments with the bosses. What is required however is stronger union,
unification of the labor movement, a greater militancy and determination.

full:
http://www.marxists.org/history/etol/writers/mckinney/1940/08/patriotism.htm

And what did Cannon predict about this "petty bourgeois opposition"? In
a 1939 letter to Dobbs, he claimed: "I characterised—and, by God, I was
right!—the offensive against the Soviet Union inside our party as
nothing but a craven capitulation to the pressure of bourgeois public
opinion. I said that a party which yields to this pressure already
before the actual war begins would never be able to stand up when the
real beat is turned on. You see, we didn't get along very well together
at all."

full: http://www.marxists.org/archive/cannon/works/1940/party/ch05.htm

So, where is the evidence of this yielding to pressure?

The answer: you won't find any.

I should also mention that 5 years after the split the Cannonites and
the Shachtmanites opened up discussions about reuniting. I guess the
gangrene wasn't terminal. But the sectarianism--which might be likened
to impetigo--was.