[Marxism] Notes on modern art, part two

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Apr 8 14:18:01 MDT 2013

Two documentaries I received as part of my year-end bounty of screeners
meant to help NYFCO members pick winners at our December meeting were
focused on artists who are arguably among the most important in the
world. “Ai Weiwei: Never Sorry” and “Gerhard Richter Painting” are both
now available on Netflix screening and very much worth watching. Around
the same time I viewed them, the MOMA show on the birth of abstract art
had begun. In my last post on modern art, I tried to get to the bottom
of its origins using the analysis of Meyer Schapiro. With Ai WeiWei and
Gerhard Richter, you are confronted by the dialectic of art and politics
operating in an epoch that might be described as post-modern if not
necessarily subscribing to the ideology deployed in its name. In
following up on their work, I have learned a great deal about the
current state of fine art that is worth sharing with you.

full:
http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2013/04/08/notes-on-modern-art-part-two/