[Marxism] She should rot in hell

Einde O'Callaghan eindeoc at freenet.de
Mon Apr 8 15:51:40 MDT 2013

On 08.04.2013 22:57, Gary MacLennan wrote:

> I hope Briish comrades on this list do their duty and let us know what is
> being said on the ground among the people.  Such is the dominanace of
> "official truth" in the bourgeois media here in Australia that it is hard
> to get beyond the "tributes pour in" line. Though stuff is fltering
> through.  Thus the deputy editor of the Sun did say "nasty things" were
> being said about Thatcher on Twitter.  My heart leaped with relief.
>
> Lou, as is his wont when a hero of the bourgeoisie dies, prefaced his post
> with "rot in hell".  I second that heartily. It is so important that there
> be a people's carnival over Thatcher's death. Her heirs and wannabes in the
> Tory and Labour parties need to be "encouraged".

Well, for those who are on Facebook or Twitter there's lots of pictures
of people out on the streets celebrating and the right-wing press are
foaming at the mouth about the "disrespect" that the great unwashed are
showing for their heroine. On Twitter the main tag seems to be
#Thatcher. You'll get both pro- and anti-Thatcher tweets under that tag

Ken Livingstone, the former Labour Mayor of London, was thrown off a
live television broadcast for suggesting that she was to blame for
everything that was wrong with Britain today. And George Galloway has
provoked the outrage of the right-wing press for having the gall that
workers should "stamp the dirt down on her grave." The manager of an
off-licence (liquor store) in London was suspended for tweeting that in
his branch of a large chain there would be a £10 reduction on a bottle
of champagne for those who felt like having a little celebration
(without even a mention of what they might want to celebrate).

That's just a fraction of what I've been able to pick up from here in
Germany.

Incidentally, earlier this evening if you typed the words "Thatcher
death" into Google the first suggestions you got for completing the
entry were "Thatcher death party" and "Thatcher death party kit" and
also among the top 10 suggestions were: "Thatcher death party packs",
"Thatcher death pack", "Thatcher death countdown" and "Thatcher death
t-shirts".

Einde O'Callaghan