[Marxism] Marx's crisis theory

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Wed Apr 10 06:57:11 MDT 2013

On Apr 10, 2013, at 6:16 AM, james pitman wrote:
> Aside from Engels's editing, and that is fairly obvious Engels didn't
> understand Marx's value theory,

Except that over a span of forty years, including the 1843 "Outlines
of a Critique of Political Economy," Engels was intimately involved
with all Marx's theoretical work (and Marx with his).  Nobody, but
nobody, has any right to denigrate Engels' work in editing manuscripts
that he was familiar with from their very inception.

> there's plenty of evidence from Marx that
> he was less than happy with his own crisis theory.

There is and can be no such thing as a "crisis theory"  The word
"crisis" refers to but but one of the recurrent moments of the "trade
cycle." All the elements of the cyclical movement of the capitalist
mode of production are specified in the categories of marxian theory,
at least (and often more than) to the extent that they were observable
from the primitive data of the first few decades of the first
capitalist economy, the British. This was much less than the time
required for even the first of the long-range ("Kondratiev") cycles
that have marked this mode of production. How can anybody (except
types who are happy to treat Engels as a "dead dog") criticize Marx
and Engels for not fully working out all the mechanisms exhibited in
trade cycles as they have existed over two centuries now?

> On 10 April 2013 09:22, Angelus Novus <fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Phil Ferguson:
>>> There is a *50-page section* on the law of the tendency of the
>>> rate of
>>> profit to fall in vol 3. Hardly a "fragmentary reference".
>> Phil, with all due respect, I can tell you haven't read the article,
>> because one of the thing that Heinrich addresses is how Engels
>> turned a
>> mass of fragmentary notes and digressions into a section of the
>> book, and
>> then added titles.

Even Heinrich recognizes that the sections on the Law were from a
coherent manuscript.
As I pointed out above, to criticize Engels's editing of material with
which he was familiar from its very inception is to talk nonsense.

Shane Mage

"All things are an equal exchange for fire and fire for all things,
as goods are for gold and gold for goods."

Herakleitos of Ephesos, fr, 90