[Marxism] North Korea in perspective

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Apr 11 07:12:17 MDT 2013

On 4/11/13 1:37 AM, Steffan Wyn-Jones wrote:
> Bruce Cumings' books on the war are classics, especially his
> two-volume Origins of the Korean War. Also, see this link for an
> interview with Tim Beal, author of a couple of books through Pluto
> Press on Korea and its wider geopolitical
> situation.http://plutopress.wordpress.com/2013/04/09/all-you-need-to-know-about-the-korean-crisis-in-12-minutes/

There's also I.F. Stone's "Hidden History of the Korean War".

I want to single out Bruce Cumings's 2011 "The Korean War: A History", a
book that looks at both what happened in Korea and at the political
ramifications inside the USA. He illustrates how the war was as much
against the radical movement in the south, that was broader than the CP,
as it was against the north. Furthermore, it was rooted in the struggle
against Japanese occupation and the landordism it supported.

I plan to write a survey on Korean movies about the Korean war next week
based on Cumings's book.