[Marxism] Fwd: Response to Vijaya Kumar Marla

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Apr 11 21:45:58 MDT 2013

From: 	Bharatbhooshan Tiwari:
With all due respect to Vijaya’s point, I’m afraid, the issue of
cultural traditions is not that straightforward and breaking a coconut
at the inauguration of a Communist Party office is not as innocuous as
it appears to be, especially in a multi-cultural and multi-religious
country like India, with bloody past (and present?) of confessional
antagonisms, striving to be a secular nation.

I still recall my left-wing trade unionist father being addressed as
‘Pandit Ji’ (an address reserved for Brahmins, a priestly upper-caste in
India) by his comrades all along and him not objecting to it a bit.
I’ve heard that CPM comrades (belonging to the dominant Jat community)
in the state of Haryana tend to downplay the caste angle of violence or
rapes against Dalits. This makes me feel that this kind of respect for
cultural traditions of people has kept Indian left from engaging with
the caste issue of Indian society with the seriousness it warranted.

In solidarity,

Bharat