[Marxism] American Meat; The Revolutionary

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Apr 12 15:34:59 MDT 2013

	A meat diet contained in an almost ready state the most essential
ingredients required by the organism for its metabolism. By shortening
the time required for digestion, it also shortened the other vegetative
bodily processes that correspond to those of plant life, and thus gained
further time, material and desire for the active manifestation of animal
life proper. And the farther man in the making moved from the vegetable
kingdom the higher he rose above the animal.

–Frederick Engels, The Part played by Labour in the Transition from Ape
to Man

When my old friend Doug Henwood, America’s most brilliant left
economist, posted this item on Facebook, I am sure he did it with a
mischievous grin on his face since so many people on the left equate
meat eating with imperialism. Since Doug cooks a mean meatball, he and
other meat-eating leftists would appreciate “American Meat”, a
fascinating documentary that makes the case for organic, grass-fed
livestock and poultry.

---

Sidney Rittenberg is the quintessential anti-Zelig. Like Woody Allen’s
character, he shows up in key moments of Chinese history next to all the
big-time players but unlike Zelig is in a commanding position, most of
all in the Cultural Revolution.

full:
http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2013/04/12/american-meat-the-revolutionary/