[Marxism] The Dungeons and Dragon Report

Angelus Novus fuerdenkommunismus at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 13 10:51:51 MDT 2013

LOL! Sartesian: "nothing is more difficult than the orderly disengagement from persistent opponents.  Just ask the historians of the US Military Assistance Command-Vietnam."

This is just another confirmation that Marxist politics in the United States is basically a Dungeons and Dragons game for certain types of nerds.

Michel Foucault: What is tiresome in ideological arguments is that one is
necessarily swept away by the "model of war." That is to say that when you
find yourself facing someone with ideas different from your own, you are
always led to identify that person as an enemy (of your class, your
society, etc.). And we know that it is necessary to wage combat against the
enemy until triumphing over him. This grand theme of ideological struggle
has really disturbed me. First of all because the theoretical coordinates
of each of us are often, no, always, confused and fluctuating, especially
if they are observed in their genesis.

Furthermore: might not this "struggle" that one tries to wage against the
"enemy" only be a way of making a petty dispute without much importance
seem more serious than it really is? I mean, don't certain intellectuals
hope to lend themselves greater political weight with their "ideological
struggle" than they really have? A book is consumed very quickly, you know.
An article, well.... What is more serious: acting out a struggle against
the "enemy," or investigating, together or perhaps divergently, the
important problems that are posed? And then I'll tell you: I find this
"model of war" not only a bit ridiculous but also rather dangerous. Because
by virtue of saying or thinking "I'm fighting against the enemy," if one
day you found yourself in a position of strength, and in a situation of
real war, in front of this blasted "enemy," wouldn't you actually treat him
as one? Taking that route leads directly to oppression, no matter who takes
it: that's the real danger. I understand how pleasing it can be for some
intellectuals to try to be taken seriously by a party or a society by
acting out a "war" against an ideological adversary: but that is disturbing
above all because of what it could provoke. Wouldn't it be much better
instead to think that those with whom you disagree are perhaps mistaken; or
perhaps that you haven't understood what they intended to say?