[Marxism] Ding Dong, the Witch is dead a song for the picket lines

Mark Lause markalause at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 16:24:43 MDT 2013

While nothing an author writes can determine anything about how the book is
read, Baum most certainly did write a political allegory, though he made it
into an entertaining children's book . . . I don't know much about the
movie or is makers.

He is often said to have had Populist sympathies, but he clearly mistrusted
the judgement of the Scarecrow and the cowardly William Jennings Lion.  His
politics on woman's rights reflected those of his mother-in-law, Mathilde
Joselyn Gage, a left-wing suffragist for many years.  His politics were
more of the old style "Progressive" than anything else.

Certainly, his sense that power is a matter of smoke and mirrors still
flashes across my mind every time I wind up confronting it.

ML