[Marxism] Frank Baum on Native Americans - from Wikipedia

Dennis Brasky dmozart1756 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 19:12:52 MDT 2013

In 1888, Baum turned to editing a local newspaper, *The Aberdeen Saturday
Pioneer*. Following the death of Sitting Bull at the hands of a federal
agent, Baum urged the wholesale extermination of all America's native
peoples in a column he wrote on December 20, 1890. On January 3, 1891 he
reverted to the subject in an editorial response to the Wounded Knee
Massacre. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L._Frank_Baum#cite_note-13>

*The Pioneer has before declared that our only safety depends upon the
total extirmination [*sic*] of the Indians. Having wronged them for
centuries, we had better, in order to protect our civilization, follow it
up by one more wrong and wipe these untamed and untamable creatures from
the face of the earth*

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L._Frank_Baum#cite_note-14>A recent analysis
of these editorials has challenged their literal interpretation, suggesting
that the actual intent of Baum was to generate sympathy for the Indians via
obnoxious argument, ostensibly promoting the contrary position