[Marxism] Sign of the times

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Apr 16 15:01:43 MDT 2013

Just after the M96 bus about was departing to the east side an hour ago
I spotted Beryl Reubens on the corner of B'way and 96th. You may
remember that I posted a link to an interview I did with her a few
months ago. (https://vimeo.com/56591752). She was a member of a CP cell
up in Glen Wild, New York that included her, her husband, and the
parents of Allen Young and Naomi Jaffe. Allen and Naomi were leaders of
SDS, with Allen eventually becoming a seminal figure in the Gay
Liberation movement and Naomi a member of the Weather Underground. All
but Allen's parents were poultry farmers. And all were involved in a
"Salt of the Earth" type drive to organize mostly African-American steam
laundry workers.

I wanted to say hello to her from the bus but the driver would not open
the door for me to yell out. He did, however, beep the horn and she saw
me waving to her. I just called her 5 minutes ago to tell her that I was
the crazy guy on the bus waving to her. She said that she suspected it
was me.

I mentioned to the driver that I did an interview with her about her
leftwing activities during the McCarthy era. That evidently was all he
needed to trigger some welled-up rightwing ideas that he obviously
picked up from WABC hate radio and Murdoch's NY Post. He said that the
only McCarthyism today is directed against white Christians who will
never be protected by hate speech legislation and so on. But the Muslims
and the gays will always be defended by Obama.

I let him go on until we were midway through Central Park and then I
began responding. Wasn't he aware that the same people who are going on
about Muslims and gays are the same people who are for busting the
unions, including the TWU? Didn't he know that Mike Quill who made the
TWU into a powerful union was a "fellow traveler" of the CPUSA? And what
about Scott Walker, the governor of Wisconsin, who wanted to bust all
public unions like the TWU? This guy who goes on about "true Americans"
is making it impossible to organize a union.

After about 5 minutes of this he began to back off, probably because he
had never heard anybody with a class perspective. At one point he said
something like "you people put Obama into office", assuming that I was a
typical liberal. I explained to him that both Romney and Obama hate
strong unions like the TWU. I got a chuckle when he said that if we had
more Republicans like Abe Lincoln, he'd vote for them. I said, "So would
I", as I got off at 96th and 3rd.