[Marxism] re fraud claims of the venezuelan opposition

Gary MacLennan gary.maclennan1 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 18:08:54 MDT 2013

I was very struck by the finding that some switched to vote for Capriles
because they felt they needed a change.  Here in Queensland we got an
austerity drive for similar reasons when the governing Labor Party was
smashed and the Tories came into government.  People it seems felt they
needed a change. Well we certainly got one with thousands of public
servants sacked. So the word "change" tends to make me twitch not just a
little.

That people did not consider what kind of change they might need is hardly
surprising in Australia the land of political apathy, but one would have
hoped for more in Venezuela.  Nevertheless if Capriles overplays his hand
here then the reality of what a defeat of Chavismo would mean might
actually manifest itself in a political radicalization.

It is also important not to think of "overwhelming commitment of energy,
enthusiasm, and creative innovation" in purely numerical terms.  It is
above all a qualitative notion. In other words a resolute political
minority can act decisively and swing public opinion behind them.  After
all that is precisely how the ruling class rule.

comradely

Gary