[Marxism] Review of Shlomo Sand's new book

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Thu Apr 18 10:23:29 MDT 2013

On Apr 18, 2013, at 10:56 AM, Carl G. Estabrook wrote:

> You remain a Velikovskyan?

Velikovsky established two basic facts: that the human historical
record displays a series of catastrophic events during the second and
first millennia bce that were ascribed to extraterrestrial forces
("gods" or other mythological beings) as Plato (in the Timaios and
Politikos) had described; and that the Establishment historical
chronology of the Ancient East is distended by many centuries of
nonexistent Dark Ages (roughly the gap between the Establishment
dating of the Egyptian 18th dynasty, shown by its tomb reliefs to be
contemporary with Mykenaean Greece, and the 8th-7th century formation
of the Aeolian "Homeric" Greek language that is the nearly-identical
successor to the "Linear-B" Greek language of the Mykenaean Heros of
the Trojan War). Where Velikovsky went wrong was in constructing a
model of close planetary approaches that relied only on gravitational,
rather than electrical, forces and interactions. That model does not
stand as a sufficient explanation in the light of space-age
discoveries and the advances in plasma cosmology by thinkers like
Alfven. Thus, the facts rediscovered by Velikovsky still await a
proper explanatory model--and to that extent I am not a Velikovskian.

Shane Mage

This cosmos did none of gods or men make, but it
  always was and is and shall be: an everlasting fire,
  kindling in measures and going out in measures.

  Herakleitos of Ephesos