[Marxism] One bombing suspect is dead

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Apr 19 04:46:59 MDT 2013

Associate Press April 19, 2013
One Boston Bombing Suspect Is Dead
By KATHARINE Q. SEELYE, RICHARD A. OPPEL Jr. and JESS BIDGOOD

BOSTON — The Boston region was in the grip of a security emergency as
police pursued one of the suspects believed to be responsible for the
Monday bombings at the Boston Marathon. Both suspects led officers on a
wild and deadly chase through suburban neighborhoods early Friday
morning that ended in the death of one of them as well as a campus
police officer; the other suspect, who is armed and considered extremely
dangerous, remains at large while hundreds of police officers conduct a
manhunt through the normally tranquil Boston suburbs.

Gov. Deval Patrick has suspended service on all public transit services
in the MBTA system in Boston, including the “T” subway, buses and
commuter trains.

The authorities asked all residents of the towns of Watertown, Newton,
Waltham and Cambridge to stay home and stay indoors. Watertown was
locked down early Friday morning, with no one allowed to leave their
homes and no businesses allowed to open.

“This situation is grave, we are here to protect public safety,” said
Col. Tim Alben of the Massachusetts State Police.

“We believe these are the same individuals that were responsible for the
bombing on Monday at the Boston Marathon,” Mr. Alben said. “We believe
that they’re responsible for the death of an MIT police officer and the
shooting of an MBTA officer.”

In the course of the chase, the suspects shot and killed a campus police
officer at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and severely
wounded a transit police officer, police said.

M.I.T. and Harvard University, both in Cambridge, canceled Friday classes.

Edward Davis, the Boston Police Commissioner, told reporters early
Friday morning that the two men involved in the chase were the suspects
identified Thursday by the F.B.I. as responsible for setting the
explosives at Monday’s marathon that killed three people and injured
more than 170 others.

He also said that one of the suspects, wearing the black hat in the
F.B.I. photos, was dead and that the other suspect, in the white hat,
was still on the loose.

Early Friday, a virtual army of heavily armed law enforcement officers
was still going through houses in Watertown one by one in a search for
the second suspect. Police had blocked off a 20-block residential area
and urged residents emphatically to stay inside their homes and not
answer their doors.

“We are concerned about securing that area and making sure that this
individual is taken into custody,” Mr. Davis said. “We believe this to
be a terrorist. We believe this to be a man who’s come here to kill
people, and we need to get him in custody.”

Photo

The police secured a residential neighborhood in Watertown, Mass. Julio
Cortez/Associated Press

With gunfire ricocheting around the tranquil neighborhood, residents
were later told to go into their basements and stay away from windows.

The pursuit began after 10 p.m. Thursday when two men robbed a 7/11 near
Central Square in Cambridge. A security camera caught a man identified
as one of the suspects, wearing a gray hoodie.

About 10:30, police received reports that a campus security officer at
M.I.T. was shot while he sat in his police cruiser. He was found with
multiple gunshot wounds, according to a statement issued by Middlesex
Acting District Attorney Michael Pelgro, Cambridge Police Commissioner
Robert Haas, and MIT Police Chief John DiFava. The officer was taken to
Massachusetts General Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

A short time later, police received reports of an armed carjacking of a
Mercedes SUV by two males in the area of Third Street in Cambridge, the
statement said. “The victim was carjacked at gunpoint by two males and
was kept in the car with the suspects for approximately a half hour,”
the statement said. He was later released, uninjured, at a gas station
on Memorial Drive in Cambridge.

Police immediately began to search for the vehicle and pursued it into
Watertown. During the chase, “explosive devices were reportedly thrown
from car by the suspects,” the statement said,and the suspects and
police exchanged gunfire in the area of Dexter and Laurel streets.

A Watertown resident, Andrew Kitzenberg, 29, said he looked out his
third-floor window to see two young men of slight build in jackets
engaged in “constant gunfire” with police officers. A police SUV “drove
towards the shooters,” he said, and was shot at until it was severely
damaged. It rolled out of control, Mr. Kitzenberg said, and crashed into
two cars in his driveway.

The two shooters, he said, had a large, unwieldy bomb that he said
looked “like a pressure cooker.”

“They lit it, still in the middle of the gunfire, and threw it. But it
went 20 yards at most.” It exploded, he said, and one of the two men ran
toward the gathered police officers. He was tackled, but it was not
clear if he was shot, Mr. Kitzenberg said.

The explosions, said another resident, Loretta Kehayias, 65, “lit up the
whole house. I screamed. I’ve never seen anything like this, never,
never, never.”

Meanwhile, the other young man, said Mr. Kitzenberg, got back into the
SUV, turned it toward officers and “put the pedal to the metal.” The car
“went right through the cops, broke right through and continued west.”

The two men left “a few backpacks right by the car, and there is a bomb
robot out there now.” Police had told residents to stay away from their
windows, he said.

During this exchange, an MBTA police officer was seriously injured and
taken to the hospital.

At the same time, one of the suspects was critically injured with
multiple gunshot wounds and taken to Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital in
Boston, where he was pronounced dead at 1:35 a.m.

A doctor who works at Beth Israel, and who lived in the area of the
chase and shoot-out, said he was working at home around 1 a.m. when he
heard the wailing sirens. He said at a news conference at Beth Israel
that he recognized that something was wrong and alerted his emergency
room to prepare for something.
Correction: April 19, 2013

An earlier version misspelled the name of a resident who described the
police activity in Watertown, Mass. He is Andrew Kitzenberg, not Kitzenburg.

Jess Bidgood, Joan Nassivera, Anastasia Economides, and Jeremy Zilar
contributed reporting.