[Marxism] Assessing John Brown

DCQ davecq at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 19 13:00:11 MDT 2013

I'm just getting started on my John Brown studies, but I'm getting the sense that John Brown's idea was never the "spontaneous mass uprising" that continually gets repeated. In fact, my understanding--and again, I'm just getting into the more recent bios--is that what you mention as Forbes' plan is precisely what he wanted to do: not a mass, spontaneous rebellion, but a hit-and-run guerrilla war of attrition, strike and fade away into the Appalachian mountains, provide a psychological hope and a practical mobile base of support for slaves who did run away and rise up, when rumor spread of Brown's army coming, all to increase significantly the cost of maintaining slavery and slowly make slavery much less tenable, and force the Northern opposition to take a serious (military rather than moral) stand.

My sense has been this was his plan before he brought Hughes on board, and old idea inspired by Nat Turner's rebellion and his own experiences in Kansas. Am I wrong on that?

Thanks!

soli,
DCQ