[Marxism] Fwd: How to Create Peace, and (also) How to Eat Food

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Apr 21 19:06:06 MDT 2013

<><><><><><><><>

  From MG,Jr to Humanity:

*Open Your Heart To Compassion*
http://www.swans.com/library/art19/mgarci65.html

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

/also,/

<><><><><><><><><><><><>
<> *The Western Diet Is Deadly*  <>
<><><><><><><><><><><><>

RECENT ITEMS ON FOOD (Spring 2013)

The following letter-to-the-editor was written in response to an
off-target criticism of my article "Eating And Mindful Metabolic
Management." <http://www.swans.com/library/art19/mgarci63.html> My
letter summarizes the essential (and largely unrecognized) facts about
human food-energy and metabolism, which were variously described in my
"food trilogy" (listed at bottom).

*MG,Jr. Letter, Summarizing His Food Articles*
http://www.swans.com/library/art19/letter261.html

Note this new press release:

"Following a Western Style Diet May Lead to Greater Risk of Premature Death"
http://www.alphagalileo.org/ViewItem.aspx?ItemId=130281&CultureCode=en

It confirms the soundness of my article "Eating and Mindful Metabolic
Management" (http://www.swans.com/library/art19/mgarci63.html)

  From the /Alpha Galileo/ press release:

[Quote]
Data from a new study of British adults suggest that adherence to
a “Western-style” diet (fried and sweet food, processed and red
meat, refined grains, and high-fat dairy products) reduces a
person’s likelihood of achieving older ages in good health and with
higher functionality. Study results appear in the May issue of /The
American Journal of Medicine/.
[End Quote]

Also of interest is the following /New York Times/ story about a
newly-discovered biochemical link between red meat consumption and heart
attacks, via the action of gut bacteria.

"Culprit in Heart Disease Goes Beyond Meat’s Fat"
By GINA KOLATA
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/08/health/study-points-to-new-culprit-in-heart-disease.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

  From Kolata's article:

[Quote]
These scientists suspected that saturated fat and cholesterol made only
a minor contribution to the increased amount of heart disease seen in
red-meat eaters. The real culprit, they proposed, was a little-studied
chemical that is burped out by bacteria in the intestines after people
eat red meat. It is quickly converted by the liver into yet another
little-studied chemical called TMAO that gets into the blood and
increases the risk of heart disease... TMAO levels turned out to predict
heart attack risk in humans, the researchers found. The researchers also
found that TMAO actually caused heart disease in mice.
[End Quote]

Kolata's article describes how the researchers administered antibiotics
to the human subjects during a phase of the experiment, to eliminate
their gut bacteria and consequently shut down the production of TMAO,
and thus identify the role of gut bacteria in the causal chain under
investigation. I'm sure this will give some carnivores the bright idea
of taking antibiotics with their steaks. However, it would be foolish to
interpret this study as a recommendation to consume antibiotics
routinely so as to consume red meat frequently.

Finally, a new book by Michael Pollan has just been published, it is
about cooking. That is to say, about real home cooking of real whole
foods to regain and maintain real health.

"Pollan Cooks!"
By MARK BITTMAN
http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/17/pollan-cooks/

<><><><><><><>

/MG,Jr. Food Trilogy:/

*Eating and Mindful Metabolic Management*
http://www.swans.com/library/art19/mgarci63.html

*How To Lose Weight*
http://manuelgarciajr.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/how-to-lose-weight-f32.pdf

http://manuelgarciajr.com/2013/03/12/how-to-lose-weight/

*The Pathology Of The Processed Food Industry*
http://www.counterpunch.org/2013/02/22/the-pathology-of-the-processed-food-industry/

Manuel Garcia, Jr.
http://manuelgarciajr.com