[Marxism] To Vivek Chibber

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Apr 27 19:00:21 MDT 2013

Dear Professor Chibber,

I have established that you were the person who interrupted me during
the discussion period during the workshop on Neil Davidson's new book on
the bourgeois revolution this morning at the Historical Materialism
conference at NYU. I didn't quite hear what you were saying, but it
sounded something like "What is your question...get to the point."

Of the three workshops I attended today, not a single chairperson said
something along those uncharitable lines. By and large, people made much
longer comments than me and far more in the name of some sect--the sort
of thing that wastes time.

It was all the more unexpected to hear this from you since you were not
a chairperson, number one, and number two you were going to be speaking
at a closing plenary session on Sunday night to an audience of hundreds.
Frankly, I thought it was very petty for you to interrupt me in that
manner considering the power you exercise both at NYU in your capacity
as associate professor and as someone who has written dozens of articles
in places like the HM journal or NLR on the questions under debate. You
couldn't wait for me to complete my 3 minute intervention while you have
had the opportunity to defend your ideas on the Brenner thesis to a
broad swath of the left community owing to your hard earned intellectual
capital as a recipient of many highly coveted and prestigious awards.

I honestly don't know why you walked out immediately after making your
remarks because I would have liked to take them up with you face to
face. Don't worry, I have no interest in taking them up with you any
further since I have said all I have to say at this point on the Marxism
mailing list. My only advice is not to pull this bullshit on me ever
again or you will truly regret it.

Yours truly,

Louis Proyect