[Marxism] To Vivek Chibber

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Apr 28 07:02:03 MDT 2013

On 4/28/13 8:52 AM, Jeff Goodwin wrote:
> I am colleague of Vivek's in the sociology department at NYU. Yes, he can
> be quite impatient, which boils over into rudeness at times. But this is no
> reason to direct vague threats at him.
>
> Vivek has just written a powerful Marxist critique of postcolonial theory,
> a psuedoradical set of ideas with a great deal of currency in the academy
> today. Accordingly, he should be a hero on this list, not the object of
> threats. For a good introduction to his new book, see this interview:
> http://jacobinmag.com/2013/04/how-does-the-subaltern-speak/

I am not questioning how brilliant he (or you) is. But I don't like this
guy to start with. Some of it is personal. An old friend of mine from
high school, who recently retired from a college job in NY, was very
kind and supportive to Chibber when he was a young grad student. He told
me to look him up. When I approached him at a conference at Columbia
University to introduce myself about 10 years ago, he gave me the cold
shoulder as if I was asking him for an autograph. A few years later,
after his career had taken off, he turned on my old friend who now hates
him with a passion.

And let me say something about "personal threats". It is against the law
to punch somebody in the mouth. I love my wife too much to risk spending
a couple of days in jail but if some fucking blue chip professor ever
makes the mistake of heckling me twice, I will certainly conduct a
risks-benefit analysis on the spot.