[Marxism] To V.C.

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Apr 29 13:23:57 MDT 2013

On 4/28/13 2:13 AM, Dan DiMaggio wrote:
> Further, I don't see why this list has to continually be used for all sorts
> of personal beefs you have, but whatever, I suppose it is what it is and if
> you think that's the best use of it, then so be it - it's your list. But
> it's unfortunate because this list has been of real use to many of us over
> the years, despite that.

It has been of real use because I spend at least 2 hours a day pouring
through at least 25 websites aggregating items of interest to Marxists
along the lines of Omnivore on Bookforum or Arts and Letters Daily, for
which the late Denis Dutton received one million dollars from Chronicle
of Higher Education. I consider the service I provide to nearly 1500
subscribers to be on a par with those websites even though I don't get a
red cent for my time. In fact I think from time to time that it would be
a good idea to throw this mailing list overboard because I understand
that well over 30 percent of the subscribers have "violent fantasies"
about me as one of my stalkers put it. That would free me up to work on
writing projects that I barely have time for now, even though I am retired.

Marxmail is approaching its 15th anniversary the day after tomorrow. I
am not sure how much longer it will last after that. But you can bet
that if I pull the plug on it, nothing will come along that is an
improvement. I have seen fitful attempts to create a Proyect-less
Marxism list and they have not gone very far. When I started this list
in 1998, I did it with great reluctance because I was deeply aware of my
own flaws--my sarcasm and my hair-trigger temper. But despite this, I
think that you all are getting some very real benefits. So let's see
what happens...