[Marxism] No such thing as a bourgeois revolution?

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Apr 29 17:58:28 MDT 2013

On 4/29/13 2:53 PM, Jeff Goodwin wrote:

> As the most prominent Marxist analyst of Turkey, Caglar Keyder, has noted,
> the national bourgeoisie neither incited nor controlled the Kemalist
> Revolution.

Actually my wife is Turkish and very familiar with these debates in
Turkish Marxism. She really doesn't have any time for trying to identify
all the players, but she said: "Of course Mustafa Kemal led a bourgeois
revolution even though there was no bourgeoisie. His goal was to create
one."

Theoretically this connects to another important question, namely how to
describe the Chinese revolution in which the proletariat was even less
of a factor than the bourgeoisie was in Turkey. But you can pretty much
say the same thing. "Mao Zedong led a proletarian revolution in China
even though there was no proletariat to speak of. His goal was to create
a proletariat."