[Marxism] To V.C.

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Mon Apr 29 19:29:41 MDT 2013

On Mon, 29 Apr 2013 15:23:57 -0400 Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> writes:

> On 4/28/13 2:13 AM, Dan DiMaggio wrote:
> > Further, I don't see why this list has to continually be used for
> all sorts
> > of personal beefs you have, but whatever, I suppose it is what it
> is and if
> > you think that's the best use of it, then so be it - it's your
> list. But
> > it's unfortunate because this list has been of real use to many of
> us over
> > the years, despite that.

More than one person has told me offline that the moderator of this list
is mad.  I don't necessarily disagree with that.  After all, anybody who
spends any length of time here soon becomes aware of the various
obsessions and pet peeves of Louis Proyect.  On the other hand, it is
worth noting that this list has flourished for fifteen years now, whereas
its predecessors as well many more recent lists have all crashed and
burned.  That suggests to me that despite the craziness of the moderator,
this list has managed to provide lots of people with content that they
find to be useful and not readily available elsewhere.

Fifteen years ago, when Louis Proyect began this list, he stated that his
goal was to have a list where the level of discussion would approach the
levels of  Marxist publications like Monthly Review, New Left Review, or
Science & Society.  That was. of course, setting the bar very high.
Although for the most part the quality of discussion hasn't been at those
levels, at times, the level of discussion has indeed approached those
levels, and once in a great while, has even exceeded them.  That, in my
opinion, is no mean achievement, and for that is well worth putting up
with the mishigas of the moderator.

More than one person here has, at least in part due to their
participation on this list, gone to writing, for publication, on topics
relating to Marxism.  I have done a little bit of that myself.  Others
here, have done much more.  For that, I think, we can be thankful for
this list.

I would that in a couple of days, we will not only be celebrating the
fifteenth anniversary of this list but also the fifteenth anniversary of
Doug Henwood's LBO-Talk List, which has been another great forum for
leftist discussions.

Jim Farmelant
http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant
www.foxymath.com