[Marxism] Everything To Know About Hipsters | The Awl

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Apr 30 08:46:19 MDT 2013

I got a free book for resubbing to N+1, a really excellent magazine.
They sent me "What was the hipster: a sociological investigation".
Awl.com is a website that shares the N+1 sensibility as some of the same
contributors like Chris Lehmann and Choire Sicha.

I remember the first time I heard the word "hipster". It was back in
1962. A fellow student at Bard who was a bit older than me even though
we were in the same class laughed at something I said and then told me,
"Lou, you are a real hipster". Being a hipster back then was much more
of an attitude than what it appears to be today--a style.

http://www.theawl.com/2013/04/the-complete-glossary-of-hipster-hallmarks#more-165977