[Marxism] The Empty Classrooms of Qalamoun » CounterPunch: Tells the Facts, Names the Names

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Dec 6 06:48:52 MST 2013

Students captivated by public protests in Daara in the south decided to
hold a forum to discuss prospects for reform. The debate never took
place because one sunny morning the campus was invaded by thugs. “It was
very ugly; horrid”, a colleague and professor there told me the next
day; she was still trembling from the ordeal. Everyone knew the
attackers were government security agents. “They stormed the main
building, terrorizing us, bashing bodies and heads and hauling youths
away. I myself sheltered several students in a women’s washroom.” She
and others witnessed sufficient brutality in that fleeting event to turn
them against their government. Scores of families withdrew their
children from Qalamoun; students who remained became sullen, and
politically polarized.

full:
http://www.counterpunch.org/2013/12/06/the-empty-classrooms-of-qalamoun/