[Marxism] Watching the Detectives

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Dec 8 03:59:13 MST 2013

Nice girls, not one with a defect
Cellophane shrink-wrapped, so correct
Red dogs under illegal legs
She looks so good that he gets down and begs

She is watching the detectives
Ooh, he’s so cute, she is watching the detectives
When they shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot
They beat him up until the teardrops start
But he can’t be wounded ’cause he’s got no heart

–Elvis Costello,  Watching The Detectives

----

If Bill Bratton’s record in Los Angeles is any guide, New York will see
little dramatic reduction in the police tactic of stop-and-frisk but
improved targeting and community relations will soothe resentment.

New York’s newly named police commissioner presided over a surge of
stop-and-frisk while running the LA police department but softened the
political impact by reaching out to black and Latino community leaders.

Mayor-elect Bill de Blasio, who was elected on a promise of curbing the
controversial tactic, appears to be calculating his appointee will
finesse but not end it. Critics say the policy in its current form
unfairly targets young minority men, an accusation which dogged the
outgoing mayor, Michael Bloomberg.

Bratton, 66, who served as New York’s police commissioner from 1994 to
1996 before moving to LA, repeated his support for stop-and-frisk in a
briefing to reporters on Thursday, saying it should be used in correct
doses, like chemotherapy.

The Guardian, December 7, 2013

----

The Daily News of Los Angeles
April 30, 2008 Wednesday
VALLEY EDITION

BRATTON TO REVIEW PROFILING INQUIRIES;
LAPD: DEPARTMENT STUNG BY ACCUSATIONS THAT INTERNAL SCRUTINY CAN’T BE
TRUSTED.

By Rachel Uranga Staff Writer

Facing a civilian oversight commission skeptical about LAPD’s
investigation of racial profiling complaints, Chief William Bratton said
Tuesday he will launch a wide-ranging review of police practices.

Members of the Los Angeles Police Commission said during their meeting
Tuesday that they were baffled by internal LAPD findings that no
officers engaged in racial profiling, despite hundreds of complaints in
2007.

Commissioner John Mack, a longtime civil-rights activist and former head
of the Urban League, ticked off the complaints, scoffing at
investigators who cleared hundreds of officers of wrongdoing.

“Racial profiling, 322 allegations and a big fat zero (sustained).
Discrimination, one sustained. Ethnic remarks, 150 and nine (sustained).
Gender bias, 18 to 0,” he said.

“This is a great police department, great leadership, but in my opinion
there is no perfect institution, and I just find it baffling that we
have zeroes in these categories.”

In response, Bratton said he will conduct a national survey of the
practices and outcomes of other big-city departments. He also will ask
federal monitors who oversee the LAPD’s consent decree — which came
about because of the Rampart corruption scandal — and other inspector
generals for protocols on how to handle allegations of racial profiling.

“I am not seeing anything here that is much different than I see in the
rest of American policing,” he told the commission.

“This is not a racist department, not a homophobic department, not a
brutal department, it’s not a corrupt department,” he said after the
meeting. “Does it have some officers that may be some of those things?
Possibly. Quite likely, though we work very hard to find them if we can.
However, their numbers are very small, if they do exist.”

Bratton also defended the department’s findings, saying his study will
show the results are accurate.

“It is a state-of-mind issue,” he said. “It is something that is being
taken seriously by (the commission) and the department, but there may
not be any common ground on this issue.”

The remarks come as the department’s own complaint system is under heavy
scrutiny by civil- and immigrant-rights groups who say it needs to come
under civilian oversight.

In February, the Inspector General’s Office found that in half of the 60
cases it examined, the LAPD failed to properly investigate complaints of
serious police misconduct. In some cases, investigators ignored key
witnesses and inaccurately reported statements.

“For key complaints — discrimination and racial profiling, excessive
force — the number of sustained complaints remain implausibly low for a
department of this size,” Peter Bibring, an attorney for the American
Civil Liberties Union, told the commission. “The picture painted is of a
broken complaint system that the public cannot be asked to place trust in.”

The department has not in recent memory confirmed an allegation of
racial profiling against an officer. A confirmation can lead to anything
from an admonition to termination, said Cmdr. Rick Webb, head of
Internal Affairs.

Under the consent decree imposed more than seven years ago, the LAPD had
been forced to monitor traffic stops. Though 2006 findings found more
Latino and African-Americans were searched or asked to get out of their
cars, the results were inconclusive.

Last September, the department revamped how it determines if an officer
targeted someone because of their race or ethnicity. Investigators must
now ask officers if they knew the race of the person before the stop,
what the basis of the stop was and other factors, including lighting
that helps determine the context of the encounter and an officer’s state
of mind.

“We take it very seriously,” Webb said. “We investigate these seriously.”

This year, the Police Commission approved in-car video cameras to
monitor officers in South Bureau, and the department expects to expand
the program.

On Monday, eight civil- and immigrant-rights groups called on the
department to turn over complaint investigations to civilians.

In a letter to the commission, the group, including the ACLU, the
Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights of Los Angeles and the Korean
Resource Center, argued that a civilian process would ensure complaints
are fully investigated.

“People only trust their police department if they believe the police
department takes problem conduct seriously,” the group wrote in the
letter. “This does not appear to be happening.”

Tim Sands, head of the Los Angeles Police Department’s union
representing more than 9,000 officers, sharply disagreed and blasted
Mack and Commissioner Robert Saltzman, who also expressed skepticism of
the LAPD’s complaint process.

“It’s a circular type of logic that two commissioners believe that just
because a complaint is made against an officer, that an officer has to
be convicted of doing it,” he said. “They are taking the attitude that
they are guilty before proven innocent. I am disappointed.”