[Marxism] Whose sarin? - Seymour M. Hersh

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Dec 8 19:14:51 MST 2013

On 12/8/13 9:01 PM, Jim Farmelant wrote:

> http://www.lrb.co.uk/2013/12/08/seymour-m-hersh/whose-sarin

I will be dealing with this tomorrow as well as a Truthout article from
Dec. 4 titled "Syria's Criminal Rebels" by Richard Sale, another veteran
reporter. Both rely heavily on this sort of thing:

Hersh: But in recent interviews with intelligence and military officers
and consultants past and present, I found intense concern, and on
occasion anger, over what was repeatedly seen as the deliberate
manipulation of intelligence.

Sale: A veteran Mideast expert at National Defense University in
Washington, DC, Judith Yaphe, described the Syrian civil war as "a
complete mess" that the United States would be warned to stay out of.

So Hersh refers the left to "intelligence and military officers" while
Sale relies on a "veteran Mideast expert at National Defense University".

Such is the state of the left today (being charitable to the LRB) that
its contributors can unblinkingly refer to such authorities as if they
were writing for the Washington Post or making a guest appearance on the
PBS Snooze Hour. Well come to think of it, in effect they are.