[Marxism] Reaching the breaking point

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Dec 9 08:40:12 MST 2013

You know, I have had it up to here with a left in the USA that cheers on
Bashar al-Assad, who I find indistinguishable from Pinochet, Suharto, or
the Shah of Iran. The only thing that keeps me going is the contacts I
have made with the Arab left like this young Moroccan who just posted
this comment on my article. All of you others hiding under your bed from
Sharia law can kiss my ass.

---

Anas El Hawat commented on Semour Hersh and Richard Sale's senior moments

It's interesting how a large body of interconnected knowledge on Syria
had been created to vindicate the position of the mainstream left and
justify their indifference. It reminds me of the first chapter in Said's
Orientalism where he documents DeSacy being quoted by Nerval, and Nerval
being quoted by Napoleon. At each turn, the field of Orientalism with
its complex relations and imaginations is validated. Propaganda feeds on
itself.

And like the doctrine of Orientalism, it's sophisticated and, in my
opinion, sophisticated propaganda for the Assad regime (from, say, Abu
Khalil, Musa Al Gharbi, David Bromwhich) requires theoretical approaches
to tear it down.

Then there's the bourgeois longing for a romanticized old Damascus
squares and nostalgia for the artifacts destroyed: all Orientalist
curtain for repression that's been going on for decades in Syria and the
destruction of people.

By all means, I think you're doing a terrific job in documenting this
travesty.