[Marxism] Forwarded from Patrick Bond

Jeff Rubard jeffrubard at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 15:35:00 MST 2013

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 12:53 PM, Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> wrote:

> On 12/7/2013 9:01 PM, Jeff Rubard wrote:
> > I seriously would be willing to listen
> > to plans for a "Bolivarian" South Africa
>
> What do you think of the ones drawn up in the struggle, especially the
> 1955 Freedom Charter and 1994 Reconstruction and Development Programme?

Punk'd. The analogy that comes to mind is Labour's Clause IV (Freedom
Charter economic policy) vs. New Labour (RDP "human rights" focus
with fuzzy details, submission to GATT and similar regimes boldfaced).
Wittgenstein once spoke of the progressive degeneration evident in
portraits of 19th-century composers, and I would say that is basically my
impression; but clearly serious analysis presupposes quite a greater
familiarity with these documents than I possessed.

Jeff Rubard