[Marxism] Forwarded from Patrick Bond

Jeff Rubard jeffrubard at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 16:55:26 MST 2013

The bit about Bolivarianism was not quite as cheap a gibe as it might have
seemed, though. I wonder if there is not a tendency re: South Africa to
think in terms of the Commonwealth (good cop) or the US (bad cop), when
contemporary Latin America is truly a "laboratory of democracy" that might
furnish excellent lessons about what might work to rein in global
capitalism gone wild. We are talking about large, multi-ethnic democracies
that often have largely immiserated populations and nearly always have an
unimpeachable remit for increased social justice: it does seem to me
that possible answers to South Africa's problems substantially ought to map
from Caracas or some other point in the western half of the Southern
hemisphere.

Jeff R.