[Marxism] How Islamists Beat the Western-'Backed' Opposition for Leadership

Andrew Pollack acpollack2 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 16 07:34:09 MST 2013

Not much light spread in all this given the sources.

Joshua Landis has (had?) been a regime supporter for years. I admit I
haven't followed him recently, but remain skeptical of anything he writes.

"Nott George Sabra" aka Malik Little aka (?), on the other hand, is clearly
very soft on Islamists and underrates the need to help the secular,
grassroots rebels, instead opportunistically seeking glimmers of hope in
alleged Islamist good behavior. Yesterday for instance he and I got in a
Facebook pissing match over the recent Egyptian doctors' union elections,
which I hailed as a victory for militant independents and which he bemoaned
as a loss for the MB doctors due not to rank-and-file discontent but to
state repression (which an LRP comrade abundantly disproved using Egyptian
newspaper sources, including on the Ikhwan's role as scabs).

Add to that NGS's claims that the Arab Revolution is in the bourgeois
democratic stage; arguments which (to the extent I understand them) are
evocative of Pham Binh's writings.

The only one whose word I trust in all this is Michael K.

Andy P.